[PADG:1568] RE: cell phones

UIUC has no official policy banning cell phone usage. There are signs
posted in some areas (particularly the Undergraduate Library) akin to that
provided by Sydney Roby. In general, the Library's fall-back has been a
patron conduct policy that prohibits users from causing a disturbance.
Enforcement, however, is another issue. That is up to the individuals that
observe (and judge what constitutes) an actual disturbance.

At 09:07 AM 1/25/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>We hung this sign (see attached) in the lobby and computer lab, and asked
>the Dean of Students to address the issue. Although there is not yet a
>campus-wide policy, it has been discussed in Student Government
>Association meetings and we hope to see results.  We decided not to ban
>them outright because there are some very legitimate reasons for taking
>and making brief calls--but not during class and commencement exercises!!!

Head of Preservation
University Library
246F Main Library
1408 West Gregory Drive