Conservation of Papua New Guinea flute

I have been asked for advice by the curator of the Barcelona Museum of
Musical Instruments, and as I have no idea of the correct answer, I am
appealing to MICAT-L for help.  Until they get on to email, I'll pass on
any replies.

They have a Papua New Guinea bamboo flute c.2-3m long which has been
wrapped helically over the original leaf binding with transparent adhesive
tape (Sello tape in English, Scotch tape in American, etc).  This has now
turned brown and is decomposing, oozing glue which leaves the surface
sticky and appears to be attacking the bamboo; certainly it is
discolouring it. The bamboo is painted with a not very good modern paint,
apparently a gloss or enamel paint such as one would use on furniture.
Its composition is unknown but it is not water soluble.

The question is, how can the tape be removed and its glue removed and/or
neutralised without damaging either the paint or the bamboo or the leaf.

If anyone wants to write direct by snail, the curator of the museum is
Roma Escalas and the address Museu de la Musica, Avda Diagonal 373,
E-08008 Barcelona, Spain.

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]