Re: Bob Barclay's questions

I would be interested in the CIMCIM survey of musical instrument
conservation training in an electronic copy.  Since I have not been
formerly trained in conservation I would not be able to add to the
discussion on that topic.  My own experience has been as the curator of a
collection in California which now numbers about 1100.  Several
instruments have been conserved by individuals who were recommended by
other Museum professionals.

I would definitely prefer the use of well-made reproductions to original
instruments.  When a request for playing an old instrument has come from
an experienced individual the instrument may be played for a limited
time -- woodwind and brass instruments are limited to about 3 minutes
playing, keyboard and stringed instruments may be played up to 15 minutes.
Naturally, the playing is supervised under the watchful eye of the
curator.  The most important criteria in determining which instruments may
be played is the present condition and whether or not the instrument has
recently been conserved.

In the Fiske Museum collection this criteria limits considerably the
number of instruments that may be played.  The vast majority of
instruments must be treated as a study collection and may only be handled
with the utmost care.

Albert R. Rice, Curator, Fiske Museum of The Claremont Colleges,
Claremont, California.

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]