Conservation training

<From Bob.Barclay@banyan.dgim.doc.ca Mon Oct 17 06:47:29 1994
<To: "MICAT Distribution List" <micat-l@nrm.se>
<
<1. Earlier this year CIMCIM produced a survey of musical instrument
<conservation training and some notes on the role of the MI conservator. Would
<list subscribers like an electronic copy of this? Is anybody in a position to
<discuss their own experiences in training in this field?

	I, for one, would like to read the survey.  I am a violin
maker/restorer.  I took my initial four year training at the Violin Making
School of America in Salt Lake City.  I spent the four years following
graduation working with William L. Monical in New York City.  I realize
that this group is not intended for instument makers or repair/restorers,
but we have in the past, and will continue to be, the professional care
givers to many of the finest instruments.  Many of us are called upon to
maintain collections in museums as well.  To educate ourselves in our
making of new instruments we often handle and measure museum objects.
Many of the instruments we now maintain in private hands will eventually
end up in public collections.  It is increasingly important that we gain
the intellectual tools of the conservator to incorporate them with our
profession.  I hope that there will be forays into collaborations between
conservators and instrument restorers.  That is why I lurk here on MICAT.

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]