[AV Media Matters] Inquiry: know-how about digital preservation archiving

I apologize for the cross-posting. I hope that not too many of you are on
all three lists.

This is being passed on for my colleague Henry Gladney. He and I are both
members of the Audio Engineering Society Technical Committee on Archives
Restoration and Digital Libraries.

Henry has been asked by the Library of Congress to research the commercial
sector to make sure that all items of interest have been uncovered. The
last thing that the Library of Congress wishes to do is to reinvent the
wheel with their $100,000,000 appropriation for digital archives.

The goal of this Congressional Appropriation is to develop a national
program to preserve the burgeoning amounts of digital information,
especially materials that are created only in digital formats, to ensure
their accessibility for current and future generations. As I read the
attached information the Library of Congress has been given the lead in
this project and is to work in conjunction with other agencies and
libraries. The attached (if it comes through) document provides the
appropriation legislation wording and some other background information.

If you are aware of a commercial solution or are a provider of a commercial
solution, please contact Dr. Gladney (see below). If you are aware of a
large-scale project planned or undertaken undertaken by a corporation for
archiving their own assets, please contact Dr. Gladney.

This project will benefit us all as it will provide advancement for a
unified framework to all of us under which we will be able to archive our
own projects.

Please respond to Dr. Gladney by close of business June 8th and please feel
free to pass this on.

Thank you very much.

Richard L. Hess
Principal Consultant