Re: [AV Media Matters] Inquiry: know-how about digital preservationarchiving

For what its worth I attended a digital imaging conference in Boston
about a year ago where one of the speakers spoke about platform
emulation.  That is; to create a program that causes a contemporary
computer to emulate the way older computers worked.  In short one
could take a Pentium IV and make it behave as a PC, XT, 286, Apple
II or whatever.  Then archived digital information could be stored
with its original application software, and migrations would not be
necessary for each application and version.  I can tell you that
this was talked about, but I cannot tell you if anyone is working on
it.

Tim Corlis - Rutgers University             tcorlis@rci.rutgers.edu
Special Collections & University Archives   tcorlis@yahoo.com
Alexander Library-Library Annex             732-445-5688 voice
169 College Avenue                          732-445-3185 fax
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1163