Re: [AV Media Matters] more CD labelling

ÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝ-> WHAT'S THAT?, YOU WANNA MAKE A LIVING ONLINE?
People from all walks of life are becoming wealthy online.
Could YOU do it too? Find out in this free step-by-step guide
to Making a Living Online. (By someone actually doing it!):
http://click.topica.com/caaab42aaP8EWaaao7Db/bizweb2000
ÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝ

Apogee, TDK and Mitsui all market pens for marking CD-Rs.
The question of which media is "best" is not easily answered.

To quote Mike Richter:

I cannot offer an answer.

The problem is that the blanks can be of whatever quality you choose - if
your recorder does not write them well, you are out of luck. There are some
bad lines, but let's put them aside. Let me also give you my own experience.

I have one player with a strong preference for Kodak media. Only one of my
four writers likes those blanks and it performs better on those than on any
others I have fed it. The other three are marginal or worse on Kodak, but
they like Mitsui and Taiyo-Yuden. An inexpensive line is made in the U.S.
by cd-recordable.com and they have proved as good for me in three writers
as the name brands. Specifically, T-Y gives me the smallest number of
correctable errors in my Ricoh 7040s, where it just outperforms
cd-recordable. In my Plextor, the situation is reversed. Any of those
combinations written at 4x is very fine and suitable for mastering a
pressed disc, but written at 2x each has more correctable errors. Of the
media I use, only the Kodak in the Plextor, Yamaha or Ricoh (7040) has
uncorrectable errors; in the older Ricoh (6201s), the count of correctable
errors on any medium except the Kodak is marginal.

All of which says: find what works for you and stick with it. Keep your
fingers crossed that the manufacturer does not reformulate or that if he
does he lets you know before you buy a batch and discover it for yourself.
--
Doug Pomeroy   pomeroyaudio@att.net
Audio Restoration [CEDAR] & Remastering