[AV Media Matters] Self-contained storage

I work at a large Museum with a relatively small collection of audio
material, which we would like to store in an appropriate controlled
environment.  The size of the audio collection and the general
shortage of storage space does not permit us to consider the
conversion of an entire store for this purpose.  We were wondering
therefore, if anyone has come across any kind of museum or archival
standard climate-controlled "cupboard", which we might install in an
existing store.

Any advice would be welcome, or direct information from suppliers if
available.

Moderators Comment:
I get these questions all the time - I always recommend Off Site
professional storage as being the most cost effective and reliable
option - but this is a really good question. I know that there has
been some recent work by Henry Wilhelm and Mark _ (can't remember
the name at the moment) on using buffered board as dessicant and
sealing in an evacuated bag. Also other work by the IPI on micro
environments - Comments?

jim

Thanks

Joanne Stewardson
Project Co-ordinator
National Archive of Railway Oral History

email: j.stewardson@nmsi.ac.uk
Joanne Stewardson
Project Co-ordinator
National Archive of Railway Oral History (NAROH)

Tel: 01904 686253
Fax: 01904 611112
Email: j.stewardson@nmsi.ac.uk