Re: [ARSCLIST] New LoC Recording Registry

I don't think it's as much that the demonstration records for 5.1 weren't good (Though I heard few that were truly convincing.) as much as stereo is like MP3. There are better options out there, but at the end of the day I think there is a certain degree of economics for the amount of time, work, and money they are willing to put into their sound systems.

People have stereo in their cars, MP3 players, CD players, etc. just the same as MP3 is a standard that caught on in the popular language and is used by a sizable amount of gadgets. Just as with people being disinterested in re-ripping their CDs into FLAC and getting different software to make it happen because it sounds better, people aren't necessarily willing to shell out the extra hundreds of dollars for a 5.1 receiver, more speakers, more wire, and more work to set it up when they already can listen to the music they like the way they probably heard it originally and liked it, through their car's FM radio, on MTV, at a concert, or on a friend's stereo.

While I think demonstration records may have some minor part in the matter, I think it's just a matter of priority. When people are building a new entertainment system, 5.1 may be an option, but most people tend to hold on to what they have, think the demo units are too expensive, or would rather shell out the extra cash toward a couple extra inches of television screen space.

Though I wasn't alive for Quadraphonic sound, I would venture to say a similar law of economics comes into play, especially since it was a newer technology and, thus, more expensive.

-GP