To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:16 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] rehousing audio cassettes

Hi, Tom,

I agree with your points, but there are batches of tapes that are failing in odd ways -- and I'm not even referring to the horrid feri-chrome tape in my blog from a few years ago.

We're seeing some second-tier tapes which are becoming dimensionally unstable and won't wind well. This is where I've been pointed towards metal cassette shells and other "fixes" short of a Studer A80QC to play this stuff back on.

The tapes tend to "cone up" on their hubs and then wedge against the inside of the case. I've seen this with mostly second-tier Canadian tapes, but have had a half dozen out of several hundred mixed lots that have done this. They are often C-120s, but I think I had some C90s do it as well.

There is another phenomenon that has only been very poorly documented and that is loss of highs just sitting in a wood drawer with no magnets around. Some suggest that it is a magnetostriction effect with the small radii that the tapes in cassettes move over. I don't know and I haven't seen anything in the literature, but I haven't done a comprehensive search for this specific item.

It seems to happen shortly after recording ( ~ < 1 year ), so it doesn't appear to be something that is limiting life, but has already degraded the magnetic record. This may be some of the reason that Dolby NR doesn't track as well as we'd hoped it would, especially on cassettes (where this problem is most noticeable).

And yes, of course, always transfer from the best available source. Sadly, with many oral history collections, the cassettes are the best available source. My big project that I've had in here for a while is dragging on because I'm trying to find the best copy of stuff and all are horrid. But the metadata the client is doing is farther behind than my transfers so if I get to keep ahead of the metadata I can do other work.

I did transfer one nice collection of about 50 reels that had been previously transferred to cassettes. I had to throw in the baking, because the client thought the cassettes were "good enough" but I just couldn't see not doing it from the reels. It was such a joy to hear real 1/2-track mono, on 1/4-inch tape without the cassette "filter" over it. Even if the reels were mostly 1.88 in/s. I think they were done on a Uher or similar.

Cheers,

Richard