Re: [ARSCLIST] Cedar, was: Aren't recordings original sources?

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> No, I was talking about CD's. Low-grade lossy downloads are something that
> only the foolish pay money for.

;-)

> CD's aren't antiquated because they necessarily sound bad -- in fact there
> are plenty of examples where they sound great if proper care is taken during
> recording and mastering --

(and equal care before playbeack)

> it's that they are inconvenient for most users and are overpriced (note
> that pricing has crept back up to where it was during the collusion of the
> 1990's).

Inconvenient?! Why, convenience was their selling point! How the old order
do changeth...

> A properly-valued model would have at least CD-resolution individual songs
> available for download at $1 or so and CD-length albums for $8 or so. This
> would still be very profitable because there would be zero manufacturing
> costs and very low distribution costs. Plus, if the megaglomerates had one
> inkling of future-thinking or basic business acumen, they'd be selling
> directly to customers rather than paying a middleman fee to Apple and
> others.

Agree. But yet...

> The low-grade lossy stuff should be commodity priced, around 25 cents per
> song or a couple bucks per album. This price point is low enough that there
> will be a quantity leading to plenty of revenue and also it's a good entry
> point for someone who either doesn't care about sound quality but wants
> zillions of tunes in their iPod or someone who wants to try out an artist
> or, for instance in the case of a jazz fan like me, save a little dough on
> albums I know were poorly recorded so stand little chance of sounding good
> in any resolution.

Q: How does one determine (a priori?) that an album is poorly recorded?

> As an aside, Apple's standard iTunes format works just fine for older
> recordings, mono material sourced from disks or early tape masters, if the
> A-D transfer was done right, especially over earbuds. No, it won't work to
> play back those files over a big corner horn to try to get every last ounce
> of music out of the signal -- a lot of it was stripped out by the lossy
> format. I'm just saying that, for car or earbud listening, the format is not
> as objectionable with that kind of format as with higher-fidelity stereo
> material, which tends to be plagued by digi-swishies and other
> super-annoying artifacts.

And has sounded that way since the get-go.

> Back to the main point, today's technology also offers the opportunity to
> offer for download better-than-CD resolution. Some small players (Chesky,
> for example) are dipping toes in these waters. But this is another factor
> making the physical CD sold in retail stores an antiquated way of selling
> recorded music.

Let's just say "old fashioned".

clark