Re: [ARSCLIST] Purpose of ARSCList, was: looking for supplies

Lou Judson wrote:
Similar complaints are heard on NatureRecordists e-list... too much tech and not enough animals!

I was under the impression that this list is for restoration and archiving, and the equipment and techniques related to that. I for one am not looking for music or record discussion, except how to best play them and maintain archives.

I'd like to see more discussion of tape machines and A/D convertors, storage needs and digital preservation methods, what people and institutions use for metdata and migration, etc... Less about music. Am I on the wrong list for that? Can anyon point me to a better resource if so?

My opinion is that most threads start off well within the scope of the list. They deal with issues of collections of recorded sound. Those on technical matters tend to begin with a question from an archivist or librarian; those on specific recordings begin with a post from a collector who may or may not be a librarian or archivist in the institutiional sense.

The problem for me and perhaps for Lou Judson is that the threads rapidly wander into dialogues - sometimes multi-logues - on ever less relevant matters. The relative merits of two or more artists, the virtues and faults of recordings and reissues, and other points which tend to be subjective, hence discursive, occasionally discourteous, and off-topic.

Again, the above is my opinion. I do not intend to criticize the operation of the group, only to describe it as succinctly as I can.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/