Re: [ARSCLIST] RIAA EQ software

At 04:12 PM 2008-08-26, you wrote:

Capacitor in the bridge - now that's getting fancy. I should have thought that resistance, alone, was the issue. I wonder if my "flat" transfer would have gone better had I used a y-cable between the phono and the ADC, with the other end going into the normal phono preamp?
This way, I could hear the record play, for confidence, from the preamp without having to listen to the non-de-emphasized version playing, shrilly, into the ADC, and the (ideal) input Z of the preamp would be summed with the (lower) input Z of the ADC (I was using) to make a nigher-to-perfect load, as seen by the cartridge.

Hi, Andrew,

You don't want to double-terminate the cartridge. I use moving magnet cartridges as I don't do transfers for a living. It looks as if Scott used a moving coil with those values. I forget the exact range of values for a moving magnet cartridge, but the resistance should be 47 K ohms and the capacitance is around 100-200 pF. Cable is often 20-40 pF per foot.

Specific numbers would require more research, but moving magnet cartridges (like most Shures and Stantons) are very sensitive to loading. One of the comments was that the A-D was 10 K which is way too low for a moving magnet cartridge.

Cheers,

Richard