From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:49 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] RIAA EQ software

At 04:12 PM 2008-08-26, you wrote:

>Capacitor in the bridge - now that's getting fancy.  I should have
>thought that resistance, alone, was the issue.  I wonder if my
>"flat" transfer would have gone better had I used a y-cable between
>the phono and the ADC, with the other end going into the normal
>phono preamp?
>This way, I could hear the record play, for confidence, from the
>preamp without having to listen to the non-de-emphasized version
>playing, shrilly, into the ADC, and the (ideal) input Z of the
>preamp would be summed with the (lower) input Z of the ADC (I was
>using) to make a nigher-to-perfect load, as seen by the cartridge.

Hi, Andrew,

You don't want to double-terminate the cartridge. I use moving magnet
cartridges as I don't do transfers for a living. It looks as if Scott
used a moving coil with those values. I forget the exact range of
values for a moving magnet cartridge, but the resistance should be 47
K ohms and the capacitance is around 100-200 pF. Cable is often 20-40
pF per foot.

Specific numbers would require more research, but moving magnet
cartridges (like most Shures and Stantons) are very sensitive to
too low for a moving magnet cartridge.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx