Re: [ARSCLIST] The Emperor's New Sampling Rate By Paul D. Lehrman Mix Magazine April 2008

I shall be interested to read your article. Like I said, my opinion (and this is _ALL_ about opinions and perceptions, at base) is that the BAS tests are not useful except to show that most people on a system not their own don't have finely-atuned hearing and that CD's and hi-rez sound close enough to lead most people most of the time to choose preference in a semi-random fashion when not on the system they are atuned to. "Passing" or "failing" the test isn't going to convince most people with an opinion about this to change it.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clark Johnsen" <clarkjohnsen@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] The Emperor's New Sampling Rate By Paul D. Lehrman Mix Magazine April 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I'm sure we'll get the usual chorus about how listening tests are
notoriously (fill in the blank) but I am not about the challenge the Boston
Audio Society on their findings.

Then allow me. The Meyer and Moran (BAS) tests were seriously flawed, and
that the JAES published the article attests to a highly questionable
peer-review process. The errors in their setup have been discussed on other
forums, and perhaps even here, so I won't go into them unless some interest
is expressed. A small group of us is preparing a reply for publication,
because we hate to see that shoddy "work" left standing.

Clark Johnsen, AES Life Member