Re: [ARSCLIST] pinning of oxide to plastic leader - best practice

At 11:43 AM 2008-02-16, Eric Jacobs wrote:
On Friday, February 15, 2008 8:15 PM, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> Wind slowly as you are doing. Chilling the tape for a while
> MAY help.

How cold and for how long have you tried?  How long do you
let the tape aclimate after removing from the cold?

Cold is +4C, inside double freezer ziplocs with silica gel inside that.

Remove and leave in bags for 12-24 hours.

> We had one tape that had pinning for the last 1/2 inch or
> so of pack on a 10.5" reel that Derek Au transferred finally.
> Nothing broke that pinning lose.

Was that a back coated tape?

No

Did you bake it as well

Yes

as
freeze it?  Or just freeze it?

Cold, not frozen.

Also, don't forget to invert the phase of each track.

I'm not sure I agree with that. The polarity should stay the same unlike the head if you flip it which does invert polarity. The leading edge of the magnet is still the leading edge, but in the case of the head if you flip it, the leading edge and trailing edge invert as well as the channels. Did I miss something here?

Your post of wind profiles inspired me to post my pinning
questions.  I'd been meaning to dig into this for some time.

This will, of necessity, be a fragmented discussion as there are little pieces of this puzzle everywhere.

Cheers,

Richard