Re: [ARSCLIST] pinning of oxide to plastic leader - best practice

On Friday, February 15, 2008 8:15 PM, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> I haven't seen that, though I'm doing a client tape with
> that type of nasty leader tonight, but am leaving it in as
> it has several wraps of mag tape over the leader before
> the program starts.

Agreed, that there is no harm in leaving the plastic leader in
if there are a few wraps of mag tape without audio over the
leader.

> Wind slowly as you are doing. Chilling the tape for a while
> MAY help.

How cold and for how long have you tried?  How long do you
let the tape aclimate after removing from the cold?

> We had one tape that had pinning for the last 1/2 inch or
> so of pack on a 10.5" reel that Derek Au transferred finally.
> Nothing broke that pinning lose.

Was that a back coated tape?  Did you bake it as well as
freeze it?  Or just freeze it?

> Just remember when you flip it the tracks are flipped, too
> <smile>.

Also, don't forget to invert the phase of each track.

> Also, the fact that the pinning does not occur farther out
> in the tape pack seems to confirm the other discussion I
> started about wind profiles AND I just remembered (thank you)
> that the one where I had the backup copy (a) was wound with
> a constant torque machine before being put away (A77).

Your post of wind profiles inspired me to post my pinning
questions.  I'd been meaning to dig into this for some time.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867