Re: [ARSCLIST] pinning of oxide to plastic leader - best practice

Hi, Eric,

Your protocol sounds good.

Obviously, the first thing you need to do is try to avoid ripping any oxide off.

I have not done what you have done because in the important situations where this has been a problem I've done the following:

(a) Transferred that section from a protection tape (lucky, yes) and spliced it in.

(b) Transferred the same phrase from several bars later and spliced them into the head with the client's knowledge and approval (he liked the way it turned out--lucky II).

I haven't seen that, though I'm doing a client tape with that type of nasty leader tonight, but am leaving it in as it has several wraps of mag tape over the leader before the program starts.

Wind slowly as you are doing. Chilling the tape for a while MAY help. We had one tape that had pinning for the last 1/2 inch or so of pack on a 10.5" reel that Derek Au transferred finally. Nothing broke that pinning lose.

You might also be able to convince the oxide to come off the leader with a scraper. I've discussed that somewhere, but haven't tried it.

Your approach is very thorough -- I don't know what else you can do in those situations where there are no other options. Just remember when you flip it the tracks are flipped, too <smile>.

It would be interesting to try and put it back together in the DAW.

Also, the fact that the pinning does not occur farther out in the tape pack seems to confirm the other discussion I started about wind profiles AND I just remembered (thank you) that the one where I had the backup copy (a) was wound with a constant torque machine before being put away (A77). It was my master tape for a 2LP set I produced in 1977.

There are no simple answers to any of this. We're dealing with an imperfect system that is degrading and has many variables.

Cheers,

Richard