To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:37 AM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Steel shelving

I'd like to find a better version of this kind of shelf:
http://tinyurl.com/3xf39d
at a comparably reasonable price.

The Home Depot shelves are OK but they are not always easy to assemble and have plenty of very sharp edges. Does anyone make the old kind of bolt-together shelves anymore? Those took more time to assemble but they seem less prone to stab/cut the user and as more easily reinforced if one wants to exceed specs.

The purpose of these shelves would be to store LPs organized in heavy cardboard boxes and 10" reels of tape. Ideally, I'd like a reasonably heavy steel shelf bottom but I know from experience that these Home Depot particle board bottoms can hold the kind of weight I'd be putting on them, and it's easy enough to cut a replacement from hardwood plywood if needed. The environment is stable indoor USA northeast. The material is not "save from the nuclear blast" archival, just part of my collection. I could make do with the Home Depot option since it's cheap and convenient but if there's a better quality option for a comparable price I'd take it.

-- Tom Fine

Steve,

I am encouraged to hear this, but I have to say that I spent a lot of time searching for such a place somewhere within a 50 mile radius of NYC and came up with nothing. I asked the head of maintenance for the facility where I work (a warehouse with plenty of steel shelving everywhere) and even that produced no supplier of new or used shelving. I did find some online vendors, but none of them could point me to a location where I could actually see what I was buying (unless I wanted to travel to Texas) or get a someone on the phone to answer a few questions. I ended up with some Ikea Ivar units (discussed previously on this list. Mine are braced with extra metal cross bars) that seem to be holding up but I am more than a bit nervous with wood shelving even after six months or so.

Peter Hirsch