To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:00 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] U-matic audio mastering

on 1/30/08 8:01 PM, Tom Fine at tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The Sonic Solutions/Apple computer system was finicky and could take more time
even in the hands of skilled user due to slow processing and hard drive write
times... The 1630 was reliable about making insert-edits too, given Sony's
decades of video-editing experience. I watched note- and phrase-edits done
quickly and correctly on a 1630 system.

Rose colored glasses Tom.

I used both the DAE1100/1630/Umatic editing system and Sonic back in the
early 90s. There was no comparison, despite it's finickyness, Sonic was a
much faster and more exact editing system. Once I used it I never went back
to the 1100. We still had to deliver masters on 1630 though, until 1992 or
1993 when the Sony 900e CD writer came along.

--
Konrad Strauss
Recording * Editing * Mastering * Production