Re: [ARSCLIST] U-matic audio mastering

on 1/30/08 8:01 PM, Tom Fine at tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The Sonic Solutions/Apple computer system was finicky and could take more time
> even in the hands of skilled user due to slow processing and hard drive write
> times... The 1630 was reliable about making insert-edits too, given Sony's
> decades of video-editing experience. I watched note- and phrase-edits done
> quickly and correctly on a 1630 system.

Rose colored glasses Tom.

I used both the DAE1100/1630/Umatic editing system and Sonic back in the
early 90s. There was no comparison, despite it's finickyness, Sonic was a
much faster and more exact editing system. Once I used it I never went back
to the 1100. We still had to deliver masters on 1630 though, until 1992 or
1993 when the Sony 900e CD writer came along.

--
Konrad Strauss
Recording * Editing * Mastering * Production