Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex ATR-102 opinion (was MD5 Hash Generators

Hi Tom,

"Bang for buck" analogies aside, I certainly do not agree that digital playback rivals state-of-the-art analog playback & the latter systems while not cheap are not absurdly priced. The bottom line is the quality of music reproduction & while some CDs & SACDs are very enjoyable using quality playback equipment, properly set up analog playback remains closer to the performance & tonal characteristics of live instruments. It does seem likely than some of the criticisms with current digital sound quality are related to playback equipment & only time will tell if these issues will be resolved before most of us loose our hearing. Of course, if someone can't hear the differences or simply doesn't care, the whole issue is moot.

Regards,

Duane Goldman

This was clearly demonstrated in two setups at T.H.E. Show during the CES in Las Vegas earlier this month: Herron Audio using their own electronics & VPIs new rim driven turntable & the Schroder room with their arm/prototype tape drive turntable combo.