Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex ATR-102 opinion (was MD5 Hash Generators

Ken,

I have overhauled several of these machines for clients over the years
from almost complete trash condition to fully reconditioned states. I am
also in complete agreement with Tom and Richard as to the ATR-102. A
wonderful sounding machine, and a pleasure to record with. Very quiet,
as well.

I am somewhat hesitant to use them on anything I might think was old /
damaged tape or tape that hadn't been checked first for bad splices and
the like. The normal wind speeds I found a little scary, as well as the
'load' mode for the tape. That said, I thought it was certainly either
at the top of my short list of the best sounding recorders ever made or
durn near it. I really only had extensive experience with the 1/2"
equipped ATR's, and with NOS heads. The transport mechanics and
electronics were, well, a bit different than anything else.... most
certainly not for the home tinkerer to repair. Parts can have a very
steep price tag, as can service if you have to pay someone like me or
the ATR folks. (Very nice people, from my limited dealings with them)

I Highly recommend the ATR-102 for studio master recorder use, if you
are going to use analog tape. As Richard and Tom are aware, I worked for
Sony doing prototype QA on the Sony APR-5000 recorders. They are also
very good units, very good sounding, gentle on tape and very versatile
in use, but if the ultimate fidelity is what you are looking for and
price is not an object, the ATR-102 is hard to beat.... the A80 series
is not a bad place to be either. The ATR will likely hold its value
better than almost any other RTR deck... the cult following is that
strong.

In Richard's position, IMHO, he has made very good choices based on his
work load and the type of work he takes in...  an ATR still sees a good
deal of recording studio use, but it isn't that much of a format 'quick
change' artist, and stocking spares would be crazy expensive for little
advantage in his situation. I don't know as much about the work that Tom
takes in, but I imagine it is similar in many ways. Your situation ???
LOL.... well, if I had all the cash it takes and wanted a 'personal' RTR
machine, I'd take a 102 anytime. Not in my budget anytime soon
though..... :>)

Scott