From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Shoshani
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 7:12 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] speaking of ye olde 78 needles ...

Mike Richter wrote:

> I've experience with cactus and thorn needles, largely from the yucca
> that used to thrive just off my front porch. They have few audible
> resonances and a pleasing, soft sound. The volume they produce is low,

> too low for those accustomed to electronic reproduction. Of course,
they
> also tend to leave resin in the grooves.

According to Welch and/or Read in From Tin Foil To Stereo (1976
edition), they also tend to leave bits of themselves in the grooves,
often catching on the next needle on a subsequent play and wearing a
path through the sidewall of the groove. I've never even seen them but
my dad told me that when he was a kid (1950s) he had an old tabletop
Victrola in the basement of his house with thorn needles AND a
sharpener/recutter.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago