Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R question

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello format watchers,

Frank B Strauss wrote re Howard Friedman:

> >As for Cd drives in 50 years, I have a Pathé cylinder player
> > (1900?), ...................................... they are all operable now.
>
> When the spring breaks on your Pathé, it will become inoperable in a big
> way. Depending on where you live and how much money you have, making it
> operable again might be tough.

----- not at all, as long as you live high up!!  Wrap cord (wire, kevlar)
around the spring can, the number of turns corresponding to the number of
turns (surprisingly few) that it would do for a complete record. Put a weight
at the end of the cord corresponding at least to the pull the spring would
have given when fully wound. The weight will sink, and that is why you need
to live high up <extreme grin>. You then have a drive that is more even than
the spring drive. If the cogwheel joined to the spring can is horizontal, you
need a pulley to take your cord over. The only serious problem is that the
bearings are not really made to take the sideways force, so lubricate well
and use it infrequently.

Kind regards,

George