Re: [ARSCLIST] How not to mike an orchestra

Punto wrote:

Multi-miking may lead to excesses of bad taste and I love the old Mercury (and other 2 and 3 mike) recordings, but I have no problem with putting on a CD or LP that sets me in the center of the action and reveals details that might have blurred in a large concert hall.

New Year's best to all,

Peter Hirsch

I agree with all Punto offers - including the wish for the new year - but let me point out that diversity of audio experience is rarely available. However satisfying one may find two- and three-mike recording, to call the modern examples few is an exaggeration.

One of the great advantages of classical recordings - enhanced by their remarkably low prices - is that they allow mulitple viewpoints on the music. That means not only sound stage, but edition, language (where appropriate), and style of performance.

Unfortunately, the publishers seem bent on competing on other factors, often the fame of the 'stars' of the recording.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/