Re: [ARSCLIST] How not to mike an orchestra

Mike Richter wrote:
Bob Olhsson wrote:

I got hired around ten years ago to record a woman who turned out to have
played flute in both the NBC Symphony and the New York Philharmonic where
she met her husband who played clarinet. Before leaving, we sat down with
the couple and had a conversation about the recording and broadcasting of
those orchestras. After some wonderful anecdotes about Toscanini and
Stokowski, I was shocked to hear them say they believed "recordings improved
so much after the modern technique of using lots of microphones instead of
only one started to be used."

What else would a flautist say? That is, she would probably have been unable to hear herself in the ensemble with only one or two mikes. When she has one all to herself - or to the winds as a group - she would perceive her contribution more easily. Whether that microscopic view and the resulting clarity of inner voices aids the overall effect is up to producer, conductor and engineers (in no particular order).

Note, too, that musicians may be poor judges of recorded sound; in general, they are not looking for the same things that make a recording effective to the home listener. In addition, they do not know what the orchestra sounds like when they hear it from within the group.

I have had very good results with limited experience recording with a pair of cardioid electrets crossed and mounted somewhat above the stage, one-third back and horizontally centered in a small hall. But whether that would satisfy the performers I cannot guess; it may have sounded too 'realistic'.

Mike
This is a very interesting thread, though no more likely to lead to consensus than a discussion of "historically correct" performance. I see that some would advocate going back to the score and trying to divine the composer's intentions so that the recording setup can be optimized to reproduce what Johannes or Wolfgang heard in his head. There are real limits on how far this can be pursued. Who is to say that the composer was imagining the concert-goer in Row H when he put ink on paper (or fiddled with his Sibelius software)? Maybe his internal ear was located directly on the podium or in the center of the ensemble or on some other, totally artificial, cerebral sphere. Frankly, I have worked with many composers who found that the experience of hearing their work performed was a revelation and not at all what they heard inside their head while creating. There is no one "right" sonic perspective. I have spent most of my life inside of ensembles as a performer and that has had a tremendous impact on how I perceive the sound of orchestral and chamber music. This might not be in sync with Joe Audiencemember or Mary Recordlistener but is it "wrong"? Is it farther away from the concept of the creator of the music or just refracted differently? I think that one can make qualitative judgments on recorded sound, but it seems foolish to me to say one way of capturing sound is more correct in absolute terms. I know good when I hear it since it pleases my ear (and deeper recesses), but it ain't good just because the team of performers and recorders has read the composer's mind. Listen to the Glenn Gould recordings of Sibelius piano music where he has engineered the acoustic perspective to an extreme degree. You may totally hate it (I have experienced various reactions to it myself), but there is a point. The performer and the listener are living organisms in a changeable environment and there is nothing fixed and absolute about the notes in the score that is violated when the parameters of performance and environment are altered. In my mind, if I follow some of the arguments about microphone placement and mixing, there would be only one perfect seat located in a unique venue to listen to music.

Multi-miking may lead to excesses of bad taste and I love the old Mercury (and other 2 and 3 mike) recordings, but I have no problem with putting on a CD or LP that sets me in the center of the action and reveals details that might have blurred in a large concert hall.

New Year's best to all,

Peter Hirsch