Re: [ARSCLIST] How not to mike an orchestra

Bob Olhsson wrote:

I got hired around ten years ago to record a woman who turned out to have
played flute in both the NBC Symphony and the New York Philharmonic where
she met her husband who played clarinet. Before leaving, we sat down with
the couple and had a conversation about the recording and broadcasting of
those orchestras. After some wonderful anecdotes about Toscanini and
Stokowski, I was shocked to hear them say they believed "recordings improved
so much after the modern technique of using lots of microphones instead of
only one started to be used."

What else would a flautist say? That is, she would probably have been unable to hear herself in the ensemble with only one or two mikes. When she has one all to herself - or to the winds as a group - she would perceive her contribution more easily. Whether that microscopic view and the resulting clarity of inner voices aids the overall effect is up to producer, conductor and engineers (in no particular order).

Note, too, that musicians may be poor judges of recorded sound; in general, they are not looking for the same things that make a recording effective to the home listener. In addition, they do not know what the orchestra sounds like when they hear it from within the group.

I have had very good results with limited experience recording with a pair of cardioid electrets crossed and mounted somewhat above the stage, one-third back and horizontally centered in a small hall. But whether that would satisfy the performers I cannot guess; it may have sounded too 'realistic'.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/