Re: [ARSCLIST] How not to mike an orchestra

Peter Hirsch writes:
>Multi-miking may lead to excesses of bad taste and I love the old
>Mercury (and other 2 and 3 mike) recordings, but I have no problem with
>putting on a CD or LP that sets me in the center of the action and
>reveals details that might have blurred in a large concert hall.

I agree with all your points, Peter.  The prime concern is to do justice
to the music.  If the recording is impeding or distracting from that basic
goal, it is a bad recording.

Some listeners will *always* be distracted by the recording no matter
what, but I have just agreed to let them be who they are and get on with
my work.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet