To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 2:42 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital (was 78) Listening tests, was Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .

I think I prefer the freedom to use 24 bits for live recording as I don't feel as compelled to risk clipping in order to optimize level settings.
I prefer 24-bit as well to record, for the same reason as Richard, as well as to avoid possible effective bit reduction in further processing.

I hope that these tests bring about a comfort level in the archival world with digitization at less than 96/24 and hopefully we don't see specifications for digitizing oral history cassettes at 96/24. While bits are cheap for storage, they aren't free. I know IASA says 48/24 for everything with 96/24 preferred.
This is an uphill battle with many administrators, who naturally prefer one standard across the board, and if the "official" document says 96/24 is *preferred*, one cannot blame them for choosing that standard just to be on the safe side. It is not what I would choose for oral history cassettes either, but...

Marcos