Re: [ARSCLIST] 78 Listening tests, was Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .

Tom,

I was not advocating for a blind test instead, but in addition.

Perhaps I would not be as unforgiving (or ambitious) as Steve <grin>. Needle sizes, EQ, all of this sounds great.

Even a 24-bit vs 16-bit, 44.1 vs 48 vs 96, non-multiple vs multiple rate conversion blind test would be nice (and easy) to set up. Since many of us work alone, it is much easier in a group setup like ARSC to do such blind tests.

Would there be interest in ARSC to set up a "demo room" in this or future conferences?

marcos

Steven Smolian wrote:
The blind test, done first, would presumably introduce humility and, to those not threatened by it, an open mind.

The next test is with the blinders off.

Then the first test again. Do the scores improve?

Add test sequences until it's clear the lesson has been learned.

Ditch the unhumbled and send them to a school where they are marked by how accurate the meters are rather than what the ear receives. You are wasting your time with them.

For disc acoustics, use fiirst an outside horn machine. Select one where, paired with a good demo record, the resonances can be heard. Then an inside horn one which shows control of listening room volume with doors or shutters. For late acoustical 78s, use a Victor Othophonic that shows the extra bass and how it interferes with the lower range balance. Then, using the same machine, play a Victor electrical recordsd 1926-1928, where the bass is a big improvement.

Top end will be worn off on almost all 78s not in newish condition. Show the use of a fresh needle for each side and the results when the same one is reused.

Show the variations in record equalization, depending on manufacturer and time, both on players of the time and on a good modern turntable with preamp with adjustible eq settings.

For transfer work, play over-under with needle sizes and shapes to demo the importance of stylus size and configuration. Working with vertcal tracking angle, issues of tracking weight, etc. is for advanced training.

Dub to tape to show how little loss there is when the engineer is not frightened by surface noise. Do same, recording to digital through the same front end. Compare.

Then start processing. Show loss of room tone and how to avoid doing same. Use word lengths of 16 and 24 bits.

When processing, work for good AM sound, opening up the bass once this balance is achieved. Adjust further to taste. Compare with original.

I'm sure there are other steps and devices that haven't occured to me in my early Sunday morning funk, but I think you get the idea.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>