Re: [ARSCLIST] "Space" on CD's...

Mike,

Fascinating! Thanks for posting this.

Do you know if there is a difference between CD-Rs and the old consumer CD-DA format, which supposedly has "pre-grooved" media? I have heard reports of these sounding better and/or being less error-prone.

Marcos

Mike Richter wrote:
Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
Question:

Is there a degradation in sound quality in burning a CD,rather than listening to the audio directly on your computer ?

If one begins with audio with redbook parameters, the CD and the file should sound the same on the same equipment. However, in practice you can get different sound depending on the hardware and its software. In one case, you can get a difference between the analogue outputs of the CD-ROM drive and its digital output. I.e., using the digital output to your sound card's DAC can differ from either the analogue output of the drive or its headphone output. Two different CD players may sound quite different on the same disc due to their different ways of converting the digital stream to audio.

There is a second factor. At one time, Philips specified a performance difference between a pressed and a home-made CD-DA. I captured that (the page is no longer on the original site); you may read it at
http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/losses.htm

Mike