Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital (was 78) Listening tests, was Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .

Hello, Goran,

I think I prefer the freedom to use 24 bits for live recording as I don't feel as compelled to risk clipping in order to optimize level settings. Other than that, I look at higher bit rates (88.2 and above) as "just in case someone with better hearing) can hear something I cannot -- and my hearing isn't bad -- in fact quite good for my mid-50s.

I hope that these tests bring about a comfort level in the archival world with digitization at less than 96/24 and hopefully we don't see specifications for digitizing oral history cassettes at 96/24. While bits are cheap for storage, they aren't free. I know IASA says 48/24 for everything with 96/24 preferred.

Cheers,

Richard

At 09:52 AM 2007-12-10, Goran Finnberg wrote:

Marcos Sueiro Bal:

> Even a 24-bit vs 16-bit, 44.1 vs 48 vs 96,
> non-multiple vs multiple rate conversion
> blind test would be nice (and easy) to set up.

There is no need for that as it has already been done.

Seems like 44.1/16 correctly done is transparent compared to 24/192,
SACD, DVD-A etc.

So no difference was heard among the various sample rates and bits.

Please read on:

----------------------------

http://www.aes.org/journal/toc/AES-Sep2007TOC.cfm

Audibility of a CD-Standard A/D/A Loop Inserted
into High-Resolution Audio Playback

E. Brad Meyer and David R. Moran 775

Conventional wisdom asserts that the wider bandwidth and dynamic range
of SACD and DVD-A make them of audibly higher quality than the CD
format.

A carefully controlled double-blind test with many experienced
listeners showed no ability to hear any differences between formats.

High-resolution audio discs were still judged to be of superior quality
because sound engineers have more freedom to make them that way.

There is no evidence that perceived quality has anything to do with
additional resolution or bandwidth.

-----------------------------

Additional info here:

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/explanation.htm

--
Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther