Re: [ARSCLIST] Sampling and bit rates, was 78 Listening tests

Scott Phillips wrote:
	Perhaps if the same blind tests were run on 8 year old kids they
would hear the difference. Age and exposure to loud noises take their
toll on the rest of us. I still think there are subtle interactions with
18khz-35khz information that a CD loses. The fact that my ears
reasonable top end response measures now at 14khz means I'm not going to
notice much of that at best case. I spent years in studios and was very,
very careful about loudness... to the point of carrying an SPL meter
most of the time, along with ear plugs. Until I was in my early 40's, TV
monitors used to drive me nuts with the squeal.

I'd have to agree personally, the difference between 16 and 24 bit is
plain to me most of the time... my imagination ?? Hope not.

Scott

The difference does depend on the material and the listener as suggested here - and that applies to sampling rate as well as to depth. With older material having poor SNR, even 16 bits seems excessive. Perhaps it was recognition of the need for greater depth that caused the MPEG to define MP3 at 32 bits depth - in that sense, lossy compression can sound better than CD-DA if the source is good enough.

I believe I've stood on my soapbox on the question of sample rate before, so feel free to stop here.

The 'ear' is a non-linear device. I used to conduct a simple experiment on high-frequency response which demonstrated (based on minimal understanding of audio engineering) that high-end response does matter.

Say the subject knows his hearing falls off the cliff at 15 KHz. Provide him with two oscillators, one generating a square wave, the other a sine wave. Set both for 8 KHz and give him control of amplitude and frequency of the sine source. His objective: match the two sounds.

Now, we know that there is no difference between the two below 24 KHz. And we know his hearing does not reach 24 KHz. So the task should be simple. Instead, it's impossible. The two will always sound different. Repeat the test with sine and triangle waves and again they will be different, but not so clearly. (And, yes, I checked once that triangle and square cannot be matched either.)

The ear is sensitive to wave shape at least to an octave below the high-frequency cutoff. Given the right material and the right sort of reproduction, the effect of 44.1 ksps sampling is evident. (Incidentally, take a look at what that sampling produces for 8 KHz square waves. The third harmonic is, of course, somewhat over the Nyquist limit and the waveform becomes very odd and highly variable as the fundamental varies even slightly.)

--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/