To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 12:55 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio (?!)

Tom,

I'd have to agree. I came up the 'old fashioned' way, from the
bottom up. I remember looking for and finding very experienced
engineers, producers, and musicians who were happy to be unofficial
mentors and share anything and everything. One kept one's eyes open, ego
turned down, and just sucked everything you could in. We worked like
dogs just to be a part of it. Pay was lousy but it didn't matter that
much. You could watch a master at work. They would put a microphone in
the same (Almost !) position as you'd seen it a million times, but
they'd get magic in a bottle. If you asked them quietly and
respectfully, they would share that little tiny piece of information
that made it make sense... and that you hadn't thought of. Magic!

I would think any organized efforts that could be put forth to
help people 'get their ears' would be a real blessing. The only reason I
can think of that anyone would make some of the recordings today is that
they actually never learned to hear the difference.

Scott