Re: [ARSCLIST] What brand of DVD/CD burners do people like nowadays

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi All:

Sorry in advance for the cross-posts.

The POS Philips burner in my Dell computer made what I hope will soon be its last coaster. I'd like to upgrade to something more reliable and less picky about what media it will burn.

I've always had good luck with Plextor but I think someone on ARSC list said Plextor no longer makes their own drives and thus quality has gone down, or something to that effect.

Plextor is no longer making their own drives, but they have been specifying, qualifying and rebadging others' drives for some time. I use two Plextor drives now with excellent results: PX712-A (SATA), PX760-A (EIDE). My previous Pioneer was also satisfactory, but I wanted Plextools and have the Pioneer as a backup.

Unity Electronics is the outlet for refurbished drives - maintained and warranted by Plextor - and I have been happy with their service particularly on the 712 which was already out of production when I ordered it.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/