Re: [ARSCLIST] Soviet Recordings - MK-Mike Biel

"Michael Biel m.biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <m-biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  ***In 1964 the Melodiya trademark was
introduced for all Soviet records, foreign and domestic, from all
pressing plants.

  When was the name Melodiya first used? I have some early, mono only LPs that have Melodiya on the label. Were these repressings?

  ***Does it have any Brussels Worlds Fair designation on the label? Most
Soviet labels say somewhere Ministry of Culture
USSR, but does it have the AZ torch logo or Akkord?

  The disc is D 2847 and the label, in cyrillic is Ministry of Culture, and it does say Aprelevsky factory. The cover has a logo for the 1958 World's Fair, with "USSR section at the Universal and International Exhibition of Brussels 1958."

And since you are a treasure trove of knowledge about such things...a few questions...as to the demise of Olympia...the story I heard was that they were shut down over the unauthorized issue of the set of the Miaskovsky Symphonies...is this correct?

  Also, there was a label...can't remember the name at the moment, that supposedly had access to some Russian radio archives and had started issuing recordings. Do you know if that collection was ever cataloged? I have wondered for years what might have survived. For example, there are many references to Prokofieff having performed his own music over Soviet radio, yet, I have never encountered any release of these performances. Would there be any way to find out if they exist?

  And yet another question...would you know of any source which lists what Soviet recordings were issued during the 78 rpm era. From time to time I have encountered some CD issues of items recorded in the 40s, some by Samuel Feinberg for example. Is there any Russian source for this material as it appears very little of it made its way to the west.

  And...as to the Bennett...is there a more complete source of information on the LP era?

  Karl