To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:32 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] the origin of scratchin'

Hey Tom,

Grandwizard Theodore is most commonly credited with creating
"scratching".

Legend has it happened when he was playing records in his home. When his
mom came in to talk to him, he paused the record on a spinning platter
so he could hear her. When he released the record, it happened to be at
a drum transient, and taking notice, he replicated it; and scratching
was born. Grandmaster Flash (a mentor of Theodore's) incorporated and
popularized scratching, but it came to international audiences primarily
through Herbie Hancock's song "Rock-It" which featured scratching by
Grand Mixer DXT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Wizard_Theodore
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mixer_DXT

Don Andes