Re: [ARSCLIST] New Universal Japan reissue LP's

At Wed, 7 Nov 2007 06:39:38 -0500,
Tom Fine wrote:

> One comment about your earlier post. I am pretty sure the 1980's Polygram Japan reissues were made
> from master tapes. I do not think there had been much mass-digitization in the company yet and I
> don't think the masters were strictly policed back then. In fact, I know for a fact that all or most
> of the Emarcy/Mercury and Verve jazz titles in that series were made from the original tape masters
> because when some of them were done as CD's in the early 1990's, the tapes were still in Japan
> instead of where the remastering producers expected them to be.

Hmmm. But the OBIs of 1980's Polygram LP releases proudly claims that
"these LP reissue series are from digitally-transfered tapes directly
from original analogue master tapes". They didn't likely to do much
re-equalization or "remastering", but if we believe what OBI says,
they did transfers from original analogue tapes to digital tapes,
then LPs were cut using the digital tapes.

> One more question for Kohji -- are these guys who mastered and supervised this series the same guys
> who did the 1980's LPs?

I don't think so - although I don't have any proofs for that,
and I am not certain who really mastered and supervised for
these series, both recent 2007 LPs and 1980's LPs...

Kohji