Re: [ARSCLIST] Blu-Ray gets the BetaMax treatment

I think that you're right about the outrage that will come (although there
are almost no people who are able to get off-air TV in parts of the country
like mine, so they rely on cable or satellite and can use their NTSC TVs
forever that way- and when cable TV companies dump their analog, the
customers will yell at the cable companies for making them use set-top
boxes).

Also right about the audience for HD discs of whatever ilk- it is still a
niche market, I think.  Only those who feel it's worth their while to buy a
new optical player and have a set that can display the HD material will buy
them.  I think that Paramount's (and others who use the lower production
cost argument for supporting HDDVD) argument that it's a price thing is
misguided at this point.  Only when enough people have HD AND want to/need
to buy a new optical player will the cost of the player and the lower
potential cost for the HDDVDs matter.  (The cost of production issue brings
up again how the "content providers" are once again trying to push what
seems to be an inferior format because it is cheaper to make- they can use
existing lines to produce HDDVDs with little modification, and they are
being subsidized in that by the hardware producers who have thrown in with
that format.  Would be nice if there were people in those boardrooms who
could argue for little things like practicality, long-term longevity, etc.
rather than just short-term profits...)

I play blu-rays on a PS3, which was cheaper than a standalone player, and if
blu-ray goes belly-up, I still have a game system and a streaming media
player that can access DVDs via my home network that I have ripped to my
PC...  (But I think that inadvertently addresses the niche market point
again...)