Re: [ARSCLIST] Blu-Ray gets the BetaMax treatment

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Another Sony format about to be marginalized.
> I wonder if either of these HD formats will catch on near-term. I predict a
major outrage and
> perhaps outright rebellion among "da folks" when NTSC TV really gets switched
off. Sure, everyone in
> certain elite groups now has a flat-panel HD television, but most of the rest
of us don't and don't
> want to spend thousands to replace the TV's in our house simply because
someone is hyping an
> allegedly better boob-tube.

Actually, what I'm thinking about is buying a present-day DVD player...which
will fit my current NTSC set. No idea if they'll come up with some sort of
device to allow digital TV broadcasts to DVD machines, though...

Also, I suspect that given the huge numbers of NTSC-only TV's still in use,
somebody will create and sell a digital-to-NTSC (or better yet, to ALL
analog TV formats...?) set-top converter...?