Re: [ARSCLIST] Cedar

Hello, Darrel,

From all that I have seen, Cedar _Cambridge_ with a bunch of their modules is the choice if you wish to do serious disc cleanup for re-release. Seth Winner gave a great demo of "Retouch" at the ARSC conference and I've had fantastic demos from both Graham Newton and Gilles St. Laurent of the disc cleaning abilities.

I find it is possible (and there is a trend) to over-use the noise reduction, but, when applied well, it is excellent. I have heard things over-Cedared even with Cambridge, although my personal experience with the commercial re-release of one of my masters about five years ago does not qualify for "current" and it was pre-Cambridge.

I would suggest for tape hiss type noise removal that Algorithmix Noise Free Pro is also an excellent choice. I have not evaluated the pro version of Algorithmix's disc cleanup plug-in, but the Sound Laundry version does not come close to Cambridge.

Cambridge is waaay above the Cedar boxes in what I've heard...but then, I don't do discs although I keep learning about them by osmosis at places like ARSC conferences and Graham's and Gilles's labs.

Cheers,

Richard