Re: [ARSCLIST] Discographical files

----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram" <darren@xxxxxxxxx>
> On 19 maj 2007, at 05.22, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
> > 2) One hopes that these "typed lists" can/will be scanned and placed
> > on a web site...one more step toward my dream of an "ultimate 78-
> > related
> > discographic database!"
> >
> If people can save their typing fingers until later in the "fall" I
> may have a solution :)

That would be MOST definitely appreciated! Aside from anything else, I
have a large box containing auction lists (which I bought cheaply from
Bill Frase's list...!). However, most of the "privately-published"
listings are British (the homeland of [Sir - IMHO] Brian Rust) and never
existed in more than a handful of copies; as well, any OCR attempts may
be foiled by the inherent inaccuracy of mimeography...?!

Our first task probably should be establishing how many, and which,
78 labels have existing lists. Further, I have a fairly complete
collection of (RCA) Victor records from 1912 to 1942 (I actually
have, or used to, a number of post-WWII catalogs, but have yet to
find them after a badly-mishandled move a decade ago...!).

David Diehl's web site does offer a listing (or his attempt at one)
of which labels have been documented. As well, we have the "Abrams
Files" as another basic source (after carefully editing out typos
and mis-entries...)!

However, from c.1944 onward, the proliferation of recording studios
and pressing facilities created a major expansion in the number of
"record labels"...including any number of such which may have issued
a hundred or less copies of their discs...! In fact, some of those
records may have no surviving copies!