Re: [ARSCLIST] Met Opera Record Club

David Lennick wrote:
I neglected to identify David Hamilton as the author of the note telling us that the Met has little claim to those BOMC recordings. Meanwhile, my original questions (apart from RCA issuing a couple of those sets commercially) linger. Were these albums ever sold in stores or issued overseas? There's an "Otello" highlights album with Steber, Vinay and Cleva conducting, on Philips ABL 3005. I have no equivalent Columbia version turning up in Schwann..I wonder if this might have been from the Met series.

dl

Columbia rather feebly competed with RCA, particularly in excerpts albums. They were limited because most of the American star singers were exclusive with RCA, so competed against the complete Stevens/Peerce Carmen with excerpts featuring Swarthout/Vinay. They did issue a few complete operas with Met casts, but they were not big sellers.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/