Re: [ARSCLIST] Hard disk drives and DAT

At 01:56 PM 2007-03-27, John Spencer wrote:

One concern of mine is the responses seem to summarize:

A. You have a TDR and no worries

B. You don't have one, don't think you'll get the funding (ever) so
just go with the cheapest route

I've taken these generalizations to the extreme, but to omit any
discussion of how digital preservation files might be saved (other
than CD-R and HDD), in my opinion, is the intellectual equivalent of
sticking your head in the sand.

I would like to suggest option C, which is conceptually between A and B.

C. Explore partnering options so that although you individually fit into B, you find a partner willing to provide a piece of their A that you can place your data in.

I think for many, that is the best available option. I am extremely concerned about asking any archive in position B. to worry about what they have created long term.

I'm sorry I won't be at the ARSC pre-conference workshop as I only have a few days for the conference and I'm presenting a paper later.

Cheers,

Richard