Re: [ARSCLIST] Hard disk drives and DAT

Brandon,

I probably met your definition below of "long tedious discussions". However, I don't think the original question can be answered with a few succinct sentences.

One concern of mine is the responses seem to summarize:

A. You have a TDR and no worries

B. You don't have one, don't think you'll get the funding (ever) so just go with the cheapest route

I've taken these generalizations to the extreme, but to omit any discussion of how digital preservation files might be saved (other than CD-R and HDD), in my opinion, is the intellectual equivalent of sticking your head in the sand.

I believe there is a lot of middle ground that both ends of the spectrum could benefit from, and that's why Mike Casey brought up the ARSC Pre-Conference Workshop that hopefully will address some of these issues.

John

John Spencer
BMS/ Chace LLC
1801 8th Ave. S.  Suite 200