From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: March 26, 2007 5:49 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Hard disk drives and DAT

I hope Richard and/or Parker and/or Spec Bros. jump in here. The ONLY answer is managed and constantly migrated storage. You simply cannot live by the old "put it on a shelf in a clean, cool room" idea anymore. Digital storage must be in constant motion -- literally since hard drives have been known to fail or never start up again if left idle on a shelf (ask around Hollywood, everyone has a horror story or two). You have to plan to have a "living" hard drive array that is redundant, preferably with a constantly mirrored clone at a different location, and plan on swapping out drives every XX hours of use or at worst when they inevitably fail. There are firms that do this on an out-source basis, I think. I believe the 90's dot-bomb term was "storage farms." Some of them are actually located in old bomb shelters and missle bunkers.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "andy kolovos" <akolovos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>