Re: [ARSCLIST] Fact or fiction: Sharpies damage cd-r?

Although I've never had these problems (I just checked a couple of circa 1998 CDR's marked with Sharpie and they were fine), I agree very much with Chas's last point -- WHY TAKE THE CHANCE. There are plenty of great water-based markers now. Just use 'em in good health.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Lawson" <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fact or fiction: Sharpies damage cd-r?

"P.O. Box Center" <poboxcenter@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
So is the writer just copying the press release from the company that
makes
the "special" markers or is there actually some evidence that certain
kinds
of markers damage cd's and others don't?

I can testify from my own experience that plain discs marked with Sharpies WILL be damaged irreparably. I worked on an audiobook some years back wherein all the raw (Mitsui & Kodak branded gold) CDs were labeled with Sharpie inscriptions. Without fail, over a short period of time, the ink ate through the lacquer and destroyed the data underneath. Fortunately for these sessions, DAT tapes were recorded simultaneously and we were able to salvage the project.

DO NOT USE SHARPIES (or other solvent-type markers) ON CDs or DVDs.  Just
say "no."  Why take the chance?

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet