[ARSCLIST] Fact or fiction: Sharpies damage cd-r?

*"Don't Use Markers to Label CDs and DVDs*

The content of this page is by: *Adam Platzer* from
Articlecity.com<http://www.articlecity.com/index.shtml>

Many people use markers to write on the surface of their
*CDs<http://www.supermediastore.com/cdrblankmedia.html>
* and *DVDs <http://www.supermediastore.com/media1.html>* when labeling
their media. What most people do not know is that using markers, such as
Sharpies, ballpoint pens, or any other sharp object can be very damaging to
the media. Most markers contain chemicals that create oxidation, which can
deteriorate the *CD/DVD media <http://www.supermediastore.com/media1.html>*.
The oxidation can ruin the aluminum, which covers the surface of the media
and ultimately can destroy the data on the disc. Additionally, these types
of markers can damage the physical structure of the disc.

There are a couple of ways to avoid these problems. Special pens are now
sold which are made specifically for writing on media. One brand is called
Staedtler Lumocolor *CD/DVD
Markers<http://www.supermediastore.com/cd-dvd-pen-marker.html>
* (pictured to the right). Another tip to keep in mind is that off the shelf
markers can be used on media that has been screen printed because the screen
printing protects the data from chemical destruction."

found at:

http://www.supermediastore.com/markers-to-label-cds-dvds.html

So is the writer just copying the press release from the company that makes
the "special" markers or is there actually some evidence that certain kinds
of markers damage cd's and others don't?

I have not noticed any playback problems on cd-r's that I labelled with
sharpies, but then again, I have not been engaging in that practice for long
enough to make a controlled comparison between non-labelled and sharpie
labeled cd-rs, much less test this product which I haven't bought.  Anyone
have any pertinent experience or data?