Re: [ARSCLIST] "record" sales in the 21st century--was: interesting!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Miss Q" <agentramona@xxxxxxxxx>
> Steven,
> I think you are very much underestimating the use of MySpace as a tool for
> musicians. I would take Roger's advice and immediately set up a site there
> and YouTube videos if you can. As far as getting people to visit your
> website or hear your music, there are many books on website design that
> cover that kind of marketing. I am using the Visual Quickstart Guide to
> HTML, XHTML & CSS 6th Edition by Elizabeth Castro for a class at Drexel, and
> it covers how to add keywords and get your site indexed for search engines
> as well as other legitimate promotional techniques.
>
> This also brings up another interesting aspect of MySpace, which is they are
> working on making it possible for artists to sell their music via the site.
> Right now that seems to mostly be in trying to enforce copyright laws so
> people aren't illegaly sharing music, but I think this is probably the first
> step they need to take to become a viable online music marketplace.
>
> Also, networking with like minded musicians and fans, via the internet or
> your local music community, is priceless. I have worked with and befriended
> many indie musicans over the years, and nothing is a better gauge of
> "success" (a very relative term) than the amount of time they spend touring,
> playing live, and keeping in contact with their fans. This has happened
> regardless of the support of a record label or management, although those
> organizations can help someone at a certain point in their career, but
> they're hardly necissary to get started.

The problem with MySpace...and quite possibly YouTube as well...is that
most of their clients are under 25 (often by quite a bit)...and blues
fans are mostly over 40 (also often by quite a bit as well...!)

In fact, I'd have to avoid being charged with "Luring Under-Age Victims"
if I struck up any e-mail conversations...?!

I do have a video (actually, not actually my best work) that I could post
to YouTube...but here again that would be one of quite a bunch that could
be viewed. Also, there would be no reason for folks who don't know me
or my work to view the video...